Language Express Preschool Speech and Language Services System of Lanark, Leeds and Grenville.

Less More


Terms Used to Describe Speech and Language Personnel

Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) - An individual with a university degree, usually at the Masters level, in communication disorders. Speech-language pathologists are experts in the prevention, identification, assessment, treatment and (re)habilitation of communication and/or swallowing disorders in children and adults. Speech-language pathologists also provide education and counseling services for people experiencing communication and/or swallowing difficulties. They work closely with other professionals, sometimes as part of a multidisciplinary team, in providing a coordinated program of care. In Ontario, Speech-Language Pathologists must be registered with the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario.

Speech Therapist - A common term used to describe a Speech-Language Pathologist.

Communicative Disorders Assistant (CDA) - A graduate of a community college Communicative Disorders Assistant Program. A CDA delivers intervention programs under the direction of and supervision of a Speech-Language Pathologist who has assessed the child and developed the program.

Speech Language Assistant  - This term is used to describe support personnel who work under the direction and supervision of a Speech-Language Pathologist.