Language Express Preschool Speech and Language Services System of Lanark, Leeds and Grenville.

Less More

About Us

Mission Statement - “Optimizing children’s communication skills for life by working with the community to enhance and promote the early years”

Vision Statement - “Communication for Life”

Language Express Preschool Speech and Language Services System helps families in Lanark, Leeds & Grenville. We provide services for preschool children with speech, language and communication difficulties. These services are free and available to children from birth until the end of Junior Kindergarten.

The Ministry of Children and Youth Services funds Ontario's Preschool Speech and Language Program.

The lead agency for Language Express is the Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit. Language Express provides services in partnership with the following agencies:

  • Brockville General Hospital
  • Carleton Place & District Memorial Hospital
  • Lanark Renfrew Health and Community Services
  • Perth-Smiths Falls District Hospital
  • Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit


What Services Will My Child Receive?

Every child receives an initial assessment.

Speech and language therapy for preschoolers is play-based and activities are carefully planned to target the child's communication goals. Parents/caregivers attend all sessions. You and your child may receive one or more of the following services:

  • Parent/Caregiver Education Programs
  • Consultations with parent(s), daycares, schools and other agencies
  • Home activities for your child
  • Individual therapy
  • Group Therapy

Who Will See My Child?

Children are seen by Speech-Language Pathologists and Communicative Disorders Assistants.

A Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) is a professional with a Master's degree in Communication Disorders. SLPs are experts in the prevention, identification, assessment, and treatment of communication disorders.

A Communicative Disorders Assistants (CDA) is a professional with a diploma and/or an undergraduate degree, and a post-graduate CDA diploma or certificate. CDAs provide communication intervention under the supervision of SLPs.

In Ontario, all SLPs must be registered members of the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO).

When To Get Help

  • If you are concerned about speech/language/hearing development
  • If your child's speech and language skills have not improved over the past six months
  • If your child often repeats sounds and/or words (stuttering)
  • If your child's voice sounds different to you
  • If your child's play or social interaction seems inappropriate
  • If your child has a diagnosis such as cleft lip/palate, hearing loss, Autism or developmental delay
  • If your child is not meeting one or more of the milestones for his or her age